Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Repentance Prayer By Habib Ali ...


The following is Sheikh Abdul Karim’s translation of the Repentance Prayer 
Taught by Sheikh Habib Ali Al-Jifri in the “Journey to Allah” course ...

The Repentance Prayer:

Oh my God  
Your runaway slave has returned to Your door ... 
Your disobedient servant has returned in reconciliation ... 
Your sinning slave has come seeking Your Pardon ...
So pardon me by virtue of Your munificence ... 
And accept me through Your grace ...
And give me Your Gaze (or look to me) through Your Mercy ...

Oh Allah 
Forgive me for what has proceeded of my sins
And protect me (from sinning) 
And other than that in what remains of my apportioned term of my lifespan ... 
For indeed ALL good is in Your Hand ...
And You are Merciful and Extremely Compassionate to us ...

Oh You who manifests the great affairs ...
And You Who are the furthest extent of the aspiration of those who are worried ... 
Oh You Who if You will something, all You do is say "Be" and it is ... 
Our sins have surrounded us ... 
And You are the One Who we have stored up for them (like storing up for a time of hardship) ... Oh You Who were saved as a Treasure for every difficulty ... 
I was saving You for this moment 
So forgive me ... 
Indeed You are the One who constantly accepts the repentance of His servants 
(Gives tawfiq to repent again and again) ...

Oh You Who is not busy by hearing anything from hearing anything else ... 
And You Who many requests do not cause Him to fall into error ... 
And You Who is not annoyed by the constant asking of those who constantly beseech You ... Make me taste the coolness of Your pardon ...
And the sweetness of Your forgiveness, by Your Mercy ... 
Oh Most Merciful of those who show mercy ... 
Indeed, You are able to do all things Omnipotent ...

The repentance prayer stresses the resolve to never return to disobedience again ...
Which is one of the crucial steps of repentance ... 

The steps of repentance are:

1. Leaving the sin
2. Strongly regretting the sin
3. Resolving never to return to the sin

No comments: