Thursday, July 24, 2008

R.I.P Adrian Inglis Bannerman ...



It pains me a great deal to write this ... 

As I found out lastnight that one of my childhood friends was brutally murdered this past Sunday (July 20th) ... 

Adrian Bannerman, along with two other men, were shot multiple times at around 3am Sunday morning ... Police believe that the incident was a gang related act ...

I have so many memories of Adrian ... I remember always being quiet and shy around him on the basketball courts ... Not scared, but always thinking I was gonna say something dumb or look foolish on the court ... I never really talked to him much, but he always walked up to the courts with his infamous swagger, and would nod his head up at me and then hold both hands out in front of him, signalling me to pass him the ball ... He'd take a shot, and then walk over to the corner of the court and sit there for a bit before he emptied his pockets out and start playing ... 

I remember him with his BMX and sometimes Bobcat bike, poppin' wheelies and riding over to the tuck shop downstairs at Capri ... He was very soft spoken and protective ... We never worried about anything on those courts when Adrian and the boys were there, they were always like the older brothers watchin out for us ... 

I remember him having braids one day, and a half braid half puffed out fro the next ... Always had one pant leg hiked up (sometimes both if it was too hot or if he was riding his bike) ... And was a showman on the courts (especially when all the girls would come sit on the side of the courts to watch him and his brother play) ...

I last saw Adrian less than a year ago at the Eaton Centre ... That was the first time in over 15 years that I had seen him ... Sadly, it would also be the last ... Even that day, I got nervous and didn't know what to say to him ... I didn't think he would remember me ... And so I walked pass him remembering how much I wanted to be like him when I was younger ... How much I tried to imitate his ball game ... 

I will always live with that regret of not having said anything to him that last time ... 

I pray that this new journey that he's embarked on, is one of ease and comfort ... 
And that his family gets some sort of comfort and closure from this whole incident by finding those that were involved ... 

And I pray that his 2 year old son Zack, is well taken care of, and never has to deal with the fate his father dealt with ...

Adrian Inglis Bannerman, I will always have fond memories of you my brother ... 
And I will always remember you in my prayers ... 

May God have mercy on your soul and fill your grave with light ...

There are no guarantee's in life ... 
I pray that myslef and everyone, can walk a righteous path ... 
And be beautiful ambassadors of God's creation ... 

For all those whom I've ever hurt in any way shape or form 
And for those in whose eyes I've changed for the worst 
I sincerely appologize to you all ... 

I pray that you all will forgive me and remember me in your prayers ... 
I truly feel blessed when I remember every single person that I've had the good fortune of meeting ... 
Be they good experiences or not ... 
It was all for a purpose ... 
Maybe that purpose isn't completley apparent to me right now ...
But I know it was all good ... 

All perfect ... 

God only want's good for us ... 
God does nothing less than perfect ... 
Peace and blessings ...

Asalaam alaikum,
Jafar Alam


People come into our lives and walk with us a mile ...
And then because of circumstance they only stay a while ...

They serve a need, within the days that move so quickly by ...
And then are gone beyond our reach, we often wonder why ...

God only knows the reason that we meet and share a smile ...
Why people come into our lives and walk with us a mile ...



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say R.I.P Bannah!

I met him through a friend and was always full of jokes and laughs, and he looked out for the younger guys in the area.

Blessed Love.

Anonymous said...

I met adrian in 1997 we lost touch when I moved to atlanta and just found out of his passing. The times we shared playin ball gettin at chicks was memorable but most of all he was my friend. Somebody needed you more than we did.... Never will u be forgotten... see you soon.... R.I.P.

Anonymous said...

I found out about Adrian's death only a few days ago and was very saddened.

Adrian and I went to Bloorlea together and later in life, as adults,met randomly when I was visiting Toronto.

I pray for his family and friends and hope that justice is served.