Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ghazali's Last ...



Imam Ghazali, one of the most celebrated mystics, saints, scholars and philosophers of the Islamic world, woke up one early morning in December, in the year 1111 and as usual offered his prayers and then enquired what day it was. His younger brother, Ahmad Ghazali informed him about that particular day and date. He then asked to bring his white (burial) shroud, kissed it, placing himself properly and saying "Lord, I obey willingly", and breathed his last. And underneath his head rest was found the following verses; composed by him, probably, during the night.


Ghazali's Last

Say to my friends
When they look upon me, dead
Weeping for me and mourning me in sorrow
Do not believe that this corpse you see is myself
In the name of God
I tell you, it is not I

I am a spirit
And this is naught but flesh
It was my abode and my garment for a time

I am a treasure
By a talisman kept hid
Fashioned of dust
Which served me as a shrine

I am a pearl
Which has left it's shell deserted
I am a bird 
And this body was my cage
Whence I have now flown forth and it is left as a token
Praise to God 
Who hath now set me free
And prepared for me my place in the highest of the heaven
Until today I was dead 
Though alive in your midst
Now I live in truth
With the grave 
Clothes discarded

Today I hold converse with the saints above
With no veil between 
I see God face to face
I look upon "Loh-i-Mahfuz" and there in I read
Whatever was and is and all that is to be

Let my house fall in ruins 
Lay my cage in the ground

Cast away the talisman 
It is a token, no more

Lay aside my cloak 
It was but my outer garment

Place them all in the grave 
Let them be forgotten

I have passed on my way and you are left behind
Your place of abode was no dwelling place for me

Think not that death is death 
Nay, it is life
A life that surpasses all we could dream of here

While in this world 
Here we are granted sleep

Death is but sleep 
Sleep that shall be prolonged

Be not frightened when death draweth night
It is but the departure for this blessed home

Think of the mercy and love of your Lord
Give thanks for His Grace and come without fear

What I am now 
Even so shall you be

For I know that you are even as I am
The souls of all men come forth from God
The bodies of all are compounded alike

Good and evil
Alike it was ours

I give you now a message of good cheer


May God's peace and joy for evermore be yours



No comments: