Monday, October 1, 2007

The Rumi Cafe ...

2007 is known as the year of Rumi ... As one of the greatest mystical poets that ever lived, Rumi has captivated the hearts of many with his ability to manifest into words, the feelings of the heart ... Rumi spoke about love for the Beloved, the longing of the soul and Union ... In honour of Rumi's 800th birthday, I wanted to post some of my favourite poems by Rumi ... His words made a profound impact on me almost 3 years ago, when I was first introduced to his writings ... I found the feelings I was feeling, transformed into words through his writings ... Since then, my room has been filled with articles, books and print outs of Rumi's works ... Here are just a few of my favourites from Rumi:


Do you know what the music is saying ??? ... "Come follow me and you will find the way
Your mistakes can also lead you to the Truth ... When you ask, the answer will be given"


You know what love is ??? ... It is all kindness, generosity ... Disharmony prevails when
you confuse lust with love ... While the distance between the two is endless ...


Those who don't feel this love pulling them like a river ... Those who don't drink
dawn like a cup of spring water or take in the sunset like a supper ... Those
who don't want to change ... Let them sleep ..


The nation of Love differs from all others ... Lovers bear allegiance to no nations or sect


When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you ... A joy ... When actions come from another section, the feeling disappears ...


Beware ... Don't allow yourself to do what you know is wrong ... Relying on the thought, "Later I will repent and ask God for forgiveness" ...



Come out of the circle of time and into the circle of love ...


Your task is not to seek for love ... But merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it ...


All your suffering comes from desiring things that cannot be had ... Stop desiring and you won't suffer ...


For those who realize that everything is from Allah ... Everything is the same ...


There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled ... There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled ... You feel it, don't you ??? ... You feel the seperation from the Beloved ... Invite Him to fill you up, embrace the fire ... Remind those who tell you otherwise that
Love comes to you of its own accord ... And the yearning for it cannot be learned in any school ...


The free, the world enslaves ... But to slaves Love grants freedom ... I crave release from this world like a bird from its egg ... Free me from this shell that clings ...


When I come to Love, I am ashamed of all that I have ever said about Love ...


The Prophet mentions that God has said: "I cannot be contained in hallowed places ...  Heaven and Earth cannot hold Me ... But I am contained by true hearts ... If you seek Me, search in those hearts" ...


No comments: